August 2003 



Source: Houses 3rd Edition Henry S. Harrison

The problem starts with inadequate voltage and amperage in the house; there should be a minimum of 220/240 volts and 100 amperes or more if the house is large, or if it has major electrical appliances such as ranges and clothes dryers, or electric heat and air-conditioning.

The lack of sufficient branch circuits to the various rooms of the house and appliances can be corrected by installing a bigger distribution panel and additional wiring.

The use of fuses with higher ratings than is necessary is a sign that the wiring is under the needed capacity.

Insufficient wall outlets in the rooms leads to the dangerous use of extension cords and monkey plugs.

The lack of outside outlets is an inconvenience.

Knob & tube wiring must be viewed suspiciously. It is often old and its insulation has a tendency to crack, leaving exposed wires that are very dangerous. Most houses with old knob and tube wiring are ready for rewiring.

Switches should be plced to permit walking into any area of the house, lighting a path and extinguishing the lights without retracing steps.

Tip from Crossett Real Estate: Label all breakers in the distribution panel.


and Family Member Definitions (as promised last month)

Source: Tenants Rights Guide: Lease Succession Rights

Family member is defined as: husband, wife, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law of the Tenant: OR any other person residing with the Tenant in the apartment as a PRIMARY resident who can prove emotional and financial commitment, and interdependence between such person and the Tenant.


Return to prior page

This web page was updated on 07/31/2003.